- While the Pekingese doesn't look much like a wolf, they are genetically amongst the breeds closest to wolves
- Thee breed stems back to the Han dynasty, roughly 2,000 years ago
- The Pekingese, the Tibetan Mastiff, and the Lhasa Apso were all bred to resemble stylized Chinese lion images
- Emperor Lingdi of Han (ruled 168-189) made his favorite Pekingese a member of the nobel cast.
- In the time of the Tang Dynasty (618-907) nobody outside the Imperial palace was allowed to own or breed a Pekingese. If an ordinary person happened to cross paths with one of the dogs, he or she had to bow.
- At one period in history, the Pekingese were bred down in size so their owners could carry them concealed in their sleeves. They were called "sleeve dogs."
- Three dogs escaped the Titanic: two Pomeranians and one Pekingese.
~ Maria Sadowski ~