Dogs have been bred by people for certain characteristics such as herding or hunting. Cats have never been bred in that fashion, and this might be why the retain more of the wild than dogs do.
If you're a cat person, here are five fun cat facts you might not know:
1. Cats can't taste like sweet like humans do. On the other hand, they can taste things we can't.
2. A domestic cat can run 30 mph.
3. The cat's natural voice range is believed to be outside the range of human hearing. They have learned to communicate within our hearing range, and cats can make over 100 different vocal sounds.
4. A group of kittens is called a kindle. A group of adult cats is called a clowder.
5. Kittens start to dream when they're about a week old, and they sleep a lot because their bodies release a growth hormone when they're asleep.
When talking about the large cats, it can be interesting to know the cheetah is the only cat who can't retract its claws. The Siberian Tiger is the largest cat - a full grown Siberian Tiger can weigh up to 700 lbs.
Do you have a fun cat fact to share?
~ Maria Sadowski ~