Tuesday, February 3, 2015

These common items are toxic to dogs


Many things lying around the house seem perfectly innocent to us humans. Unfortunately, our everyday foods and medications can be lethal to pets. Here is a list with five groups to keep out of reach.

1. Prescription medications - anti-inflammatory medications, pain medications, Tylenol, antidepressants, and blood pressure medicine are just a few examples of drugs that should be kept safely out of reach. You might not think that your cat or dog will eat something tasting like Tylenol, but some pets eat everything. Others like playing with the packaging and accidentally ingest some of the medicine too.

2. Insecticides - naturally keep any bug poisons, ant traps, and similar out of reach. Also be careful with flea and tick products. Pay attention to dosage, and never apply a product intended for a dog on a cat - even if the weight range seems to fit.

3. Miscellaneous household products - laundry pods, detergent, antifreeze, lawn products, and other household products are toxic not just to people but to dogs. The laundry pods are particularly dangerous to both pets and children because they look like toys or candy.

4. People food - some people food is fine for pets, but some things can be deadly. For instance chocolate, grapes, raisins, alcohol, avocado, xylitol, and macadamia nuts.

5. Plants - many think pets will know better than eat a plant that's bad for them, but this isn't true. Sago palms, tulips bulbs, daffodil bulbs, azaleas, and rhododendrons are just some examples of plants that should not be ingested by a pet.

If you think your pet has eaten any of the above - or something else that might be toxic - call your vet at once. The faster your pet gets treatment the better.

Has your pet eaten anything toxic? What did you do?

~ Maria Sadowski ~

2 comments:

  1. Great tips. I've stopped leaving my handbag on the floor because I have medication and chewing gum (includes xylitol) in there. My pups are so nosey and stick there nose in everything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I'm glad you liked the article. I too used to leave my handbag everywhere, but nowadays I put it on the kitchen table where it's hard to get to. I kind of forget what I have in it, could be anything, lol.
      ~ Maria ~

      Delete