Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Winter dangers: Antifreeze is toxic to pets

At this time a year, most of the USA and other northern countries are covered with snow and ice, and cars need to be protected against freezing. Unfortunately, antifreeze is very toxic to pets, and this is a concern even for pet owners who don't have a car.

Regular antifreeze has a sweet scent and taste, and is quite attractive to dogs and cats. Some manufacturers have changed their solution to remove the sweetness and make the liquid less appealing to pets, and some make "pet safe" versions, but all of these variants are still dangerous to pets. Pet safe antifreeze is less toxic than regular, but it still toxic.

If you're walking your dog and see a puddle on the ground, don't let him or her walk through it or drink from it. It's a good idea to always wipe off the pet's feet when you get back home - they will lick themselves clean, and can ingest antifreeze in the process.

Needless to say, keep these types of products out of reach for pets and children, and clean any spills immediately.

If you suspect or know that your pet has ingested antifreeze, contact your veterinarian or pet ER immediately. Minutes matter, and quick treatment can save your pet from severe illness and even death.

~ Maria Sadowski ~


  1. Pet food slogans such as organic, human grade, holistic and natural may increase sales, but miss the point. If pet health is the objective, a totally new approach is needed. mypetneedsthat

  2. You can also put a chatbox on your blog for more interactivity among readers.,:’;: https://royalcbd.com/how-to-make-cbd-gummies-at-home/