Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Be careful with laundry detergent pods

Laundry detergent pods look like candy or toys,
but are highly toxic. Keep them out of reach at all times.
Laundry detergent isn't the first thing that comes to mind when pondering household items that might pose a danger to children and pets, but laundry detergent pods regularly cause visits to emergency rooms for toddlers, dogs, and cats.

The pods are highly concentrated and toxic. Pets tend to think they're toys, and children think they're candy.

To a dog or a cat they're fun to kick around, hold between the paws, and eventually chew on.

The outer material in the pods looks like plastic, but it is designed to release the detergent as soon as it comes in contact with moisture. This is fantastic when said moisture is the water in a laundry machine, but less fantastic when it's a child's or pet's mouth.

Detergent from a pod can cause burning of the trachea and stomach, and life-threatening damage to the respiratory system. If it accidentally squirts into the eyes it can also cause irreparable eye damage.

To make things even worse, the pod itself is often gone by the time a parent or pet owner realizes something has gone wrong, and poisoning gives general symptoms, so the doctor or vet might have to try many different things before figuring out what happened. Symptoms include vomiting, drooling, respiratory problems, and problems swallowing.

Keep detergent securely stored away at all times. Never leave a detergent pod where a child or a pet can get to it - it's easy to do so by accident, for example on top of a pile of laundry, but the innocent looking little things can be deadly.

~ Maria Sadowski ~

2 comments:

  1. Our pods are always locked up in a plastic container.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's awesome! They look so deceptively innocent.

      Delete