Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Stock a pet First Aid kit!

Everyone hopes the worst will never happen, but pets have a talent for getting in where they shouldn't be, and having a pet first aid kit can be invaluable if bad luck sneaks up. Being prepared can help save a pet's life, and in a stressful situation it's helpful not to have to run around the house to find things. 

The website Pet Poison Helpline offers some great ideas on making a pet first aid kit.

If you believe your pet has ingested something poisonous, or if the pet is injured, call the vet. They will ask you questions, and might ask you to do something.

A first aid kit for potentially poisoned pets should contain:

  • Phone number to your regular vet and to nearby emergency vets
  • Hydrogen peroxide, 3%. This is used to induce vomiting in dogs.
  • Oral dosing syringe or turkey baster. This is to administer the hydrogen peroxide.
  • Teaspoon/tablespoon set. This is to measure the right amount of hydrogen peroxide.
  • Liquid hand dish washing detergent, such as Dawn or Palmolive
  • Rubber or latex gloves
  • Triple antibiotic ointment, like Neosporin
  • Vitamin E. (A small container of oil or several gel caps)
  • Diphenhydramine tablets, 25 mg. (No other combination ingredients!)
  • Ophthalmic saline solution or artificial tears
  • Can of tuna in water, or tasty canned pet food
  • Sweet electrolyte-containing beverage
  • Corn syrup (1/4 cup)
  • Vegetable oil (1/4 cup)


Kit for injured pets:

  • Phone number to your regular vet and to nearby emergency vets
  • Gauze roll and pads
  • Medical tape
  • Ruler or other rigid material in case you need to make a splint
  • Scissors and tweezers
  • Thermometer and sterile lubricant
  • Rubber or latex gloves
  • Towel or blanket
  • Muzzle for dogs, or cone collar for cats
  • Triple antibiotic ointment, like Neosporin
  • Ophthalmic saline solution - make sure it doesn't contain cleaners or soap

If you believe your pet ingested something poisonous, call the vet before doing anything else. They will help you determine if the item ingested is poisonous, and what the correct procedure/antidote is. 

~ Maria Sadowski ~

4 comments:

  1. I'm not sure if I can do that with my pet dog if in case there will be an accident. Because based on my own experience the percentage that they will bite someone is high because they are hurt. I think it would be better to bring them on a Vet.

    Vets Somerset

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for coming over!

      If anything happens, you should definitely call a vet and bring the pet in as quickly as possible. However, some people live very far from a vet's office, and even in cities an emergency vet can be far away if something happens outside of regular office hours.

      I absolutely agree that contacting the vet should be on top of the list, but I also believe that when something happens, it's easier to deal with it if you're prepared. :-)

      Delete