Thursday, April 17, 2014

Keep in mind for Easter...

Easter lilies are beautiful, but toxic to cats.
If you have a cat, make sure to
keep the lilies out of reach.
Easter is one of my favorite holidays. To me it's a time of spring cleaning and fresh starts. Out with the old - winter - and in with the new.

It's also a time when a lot of people bring new and unusual things into the house, and pets are curious. Being aware can prevent a trip to the vet's office.

On the top of the list, watch out for lilies and cats.

Lilies aren't particularly poisonous to dogs or people, but many kinds cause kidney failure in cats. Even if you don't have them indoors they might be in a neighbor's yard, so it's good to be aware of the symptoms of lily poisoning.

  • Easter lilies are very poisonous to cats. The petals, leaves, stems, and even pollen is poisonous. If you see your cat licking or eating any part of an Easter lily you need to call the vet. Even rubbing up against the vase can be a bad thing. Cats can ingest small amounts of pollen while grooming themselves, and this may lead to kidney failure.
    • Symptoms develop within six to twelve hours
    • Signs of poisoning include vomiting, loss of appetite, dehydration, and lethargy
    • Some cats stagger, appear disoriented, or suffer seizures
    • The cat needs treatment as quickly as possible. Don't wait to see what will happen or if the cat will get sick/better. If you know your cat ate a part of an Easter lily, contact the vet. Speed is of the essence, and the sooner the cat gets treatment, the better the prognosis, and the lower the cost.
  • Tiger lilies, Day lilies, and Asiatic lilies can also lead to kidney failure in cats.
  • Peace lilies, Peruvian lilies, and Calla lilies and usually not a problem for cats.

Tiger Lilies are beautiful, but
not for cats.
Easter grass can also fascinate pets. This is the fake grass in the bottom of Easter baskets. While not poisonous, eating long and stringy things is bad for pets. The grass often gets anchored around the tongue or stomach, and it can cause severe intestinal damage. Surgery is expensive and unpleasant. It's much easier to keep the Easter grass out of reach.

Easter is also a holiday of sweets. By now most people know that chocolate is toxic to pets, but many still underestimate the allure it holds, and the tenacity of a pet wanting something. Enjoy it, but keep it out of Fido's reach.

~ Maria Sadowski ~

2 comments:

  1. We did not decorate this year because of a certain naughty puppy that lives with us these days. We will give it a try next year, but right now, it just has too many temptations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We didn't either - I've been short of time so I decided to play ball with the dogs instead. LOL

    ReplyDelete